Fender Super 5F4 Tube Amplifier (1958)
Fender Super 5F4 Model Tube Amplifier (1958), made in Fullerton, California, serial # S02319, tweed fabric covering finish.
The revolutionary double speaker "Super-Amp" combo amplifier was one of Leo Fender's earliest and most important creations, and changed the world of instrument amplification (for the louder!) forever. Released in late 1946 initially named the "Dual Professional" this model followed the beautiful but fairly crude holy trinity of "Woodies", Fender's first full-production amplifiers. The twin 10" speakers, covered finger-jointed pine cabinet, eyelet board, on/off switch and jewel light were all firsts for the company's line-up that would set the pattern for future Fender product and up the ante on competitors.
By late 1947, this model was re-named the "Super-Amp" and the covering was changed to a diagonal tweed fabric that became the staple look of Fender amplifiers throughout the next decade. The Super is said to have been Leo's personal favorite amp and the circuit he would most frequently tinker with in pursuit of tonal perfection.
This amp is the sixth major iteration of the Super, known as the "narrow-panel". The new aesthetic changes came with the 5E4 and 5E4-A circuit revisions in 1955, including a brief flirt with using 6V6GT as output tubes, later reverting to 6L6 for this, the 5F4 revision.
The amp features four inputs, two labeled "microphone" and two labeled "instrument" with a volume control for each pair, as well as bass, treble and presence control, one of the new addition to the upper tier narrow panel-era models. Sporting a long-tailed pair phase inverter, a pair of 6L6 output tubes into the two 10" Jensen speakers, the Super puts out around 30-35W of power, and despite its relatively modest power rating for the time, it offers plenty of tight, clean headroom as well as the fabulous breakup of the Bassman at higher volume settings.
The tube chart in this amp is stamped HJ, indicating an assembly date of October 1958. This amp was lovingly wired by Lily and her masking tape tag remains in the chassis. We have a superstition here that lily made the bast amps, or at least many of those wired by her we have had remain stellar examples many decades along. These later Supers are exceedingly rare today, especially in this pristine condition.
Height is 18 in. (45.7 cm.), 22 in. (55.9 cm.) width, and 10 1/4 in. (26 cm.) in depth at deepest point.
Externally, this amp is in remarkable shape for being just under 70 years old. The finger-jointed pine cabinet still sports its original tweed covering, which is in fantastic cosmetic condition considering its age and fragility and features a nice light patina. The grille cloth is in fantastic shape as well and remains nicely taught and unblemished. The chrome-plated control panel is about as shiny and mirror-clean as we've ever seen and practically all the stenciled lettering is intact. Even the original handle is still intact with plenty of life left in it! The amp also comes with its original cover, made by Victoria Luggage Co., which is in very good shape, save for a typical tear around the handle opening.
Electrically, this Super is nicely original. Both of the Jensen P10R speakers are original to the amp, the left bearing the code 220-839, and the right 220-818, dating each to the 39th and 18th week of 1958, respectively. The Triad-made power, choke and output transformers are original as well, marked 7808, 14684 and 45216, respectively. All visible pot codes date to the 27th week of 1958 as well. The amp has received typical maintenance servicing, including replacement of all electrolytics, a 3-prong grounded power cord, cleaning of all sockets, pots and jacks and biased to spec. The Super also sports a great set of vintage Tung-Sol 6L6WGB/5881 power tubes, a GE 5U4 rectifier, and RCA preamp tubes.
This rare Fender creation is a truly phenomenal sounding amp and one of the cleanest Supers we have had the honor of featuring in our showroom. The fact that it's also a "Lily" only makes it sweeter! Overall Excellent Condition.
The revolutionary double speaker "Super-Amp" combo amplifier was one of Leo Fender's earliest and most important creations, and changed the world of instrument amplification (for the louder!) forever. Released in late 1946 initially named the "Dual Professional" this model followed the beautiful but fairly crude holy trinity of "Woodies", Fender's first full-production amplifiers. The twin 10" speakers, covered finger-jointed pine cabinet, eyelet board, on/off switch and jewel light were all firsts for the company's line-up that would set the pattern for future Fender product and up the ante on competitors.
By late 1947, this model was re-named the "Super-Amp" and the covering was changed to a diagonal tweed fabric that became the staple look of Fender amplifiers throughout the next decade. The Super is said to have been Leo's personal favorite amp and the circuit he would most frequently tinker with in pursuit of tonal perfection.
This amp is the sixth major iteration of the Super, known as the "narrow-panel". The new aesthetic changes came with the 5E4 and 5E4-A circuit revisions in 1955, including a brief flirt with using 6V6GT as output tubes, later reverting to 6L6 for this, the 5F4 revision.
The amp features four inputs, two labeled "microphone" and two labeled "instrument" with a volume control for each pair, as well as bass, treble and presence control, one of the new addition to the upper tier narrow panel-era models. Sporting a long-tailed pair phase inverter, a pair of 6L6 output tubes into the two 10" Jensen speakers, the Super puts out around 30-35W of power, and despite its relatively modest power rating for the time, it offers plenty of tight, clean headroom as well as the fabulous breakup of the Bassman at higher volume settings.
The tube chart in this amp is stamped HJ, indicating an assembly date of October 1958. This amp was lovingly wired by Lily and her masking tape tag remains in the chassis. We have a superstition here that lily made the bast amps, or at least many of those wired by her we have had remain stellar examples many decades along. These later Supers are exceedingly rare today, especially in this pristine condition.
Height is 18 in. (45.7 cm.), 22 in. (55.9 cm.) width, and 10 1/4 in. (26 cm.) in depth at deepest point.
Externally, this amp is in remarkable shape for being just under 70 years old. The finger-jointed pine cabinet still sports its original tweed covering, which is in fantastic cosmetic condition considering its age and fragility and features a nice light patina. The grille cloth is in fantastic shape as well and remains nicely taught and unblemished. The chrome-plated control panel is about as shiny and mirror-clean as we've ever seen and practically all the stenciled lettering is intact. Even the original handle is still intact with plenty of life left in it! The amp also comes with its original cover, made by Victoria Luggage Co., which is in very good shape, save for a typical tear around the handle opening.
Electrically, this Super is nicely original. Both of the Jensen P10R speakers are original to the amp, the left bearing the code 220-839, and the right 220-818, dating each to the 39th and 18th week of 1958, respectively. The Triad-made power, choke and output transformers are original as well, marked 7808, 14684 and 45216, respectively. All visible pot codes date to the 27th week of 1958 as well. The amp has received typical maintenance servicing, including replacement of all electrolytics, a 3-prong grounded power cord, cleaning of all sockets, pots and jacks and biased to spec. The Super also sports a great set of vintage Tung-Sol 6L6WGB/5881 power tubes, a GE 5U4 rectifier, and RCA preamp tubes.
This rare Fender creation is a truly phenomenal sounding amp and one of the cleanest Supers we have had the honor of featuring in our showroom. The fact that it's also a "Lily" only makes it sweeter! Overall Excellent Condition.